Pommes Rissolées: Shaped potatoes are blanched, then sautéed and finally roasted.
- Cocotte: 5 x 1.5 cm (2 x 5/8 inches)
- Chateau: 7.5 x 3 cm (3 x 1 3/16 inches)
- Parmentier: 1.5 to 1.8 cm (5/8 to 3/4 inches)
- Vert Pres: 5 to 7 cm (3/16 to 1/4 inches)
- Olive: elongated ball
- Noisette: round ball
- Parisienne: small ball
- Place shaped potatoes in a pan just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Drain. Do not shock in ice water. Dry on paper towels in a single layer.
- In a pan large enough to hold potatoes in a single layer add fat and place over medium high heat. When fat is very hot, but not smoking add potatoes. Raise the heat and sauté potatoes. When light brown drain off fat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees when ready to serve. Add butter to pan and toss to coat. Place pan in oven. Roast, shaking pan from time to time. Remove. Drain off excess fat. Salt.
- Serve immediately.